Monday, November 11, 2013

In the kitchen: salted butter chocolate chip cookies.

The other night, my husband called me a bad wife.

This came about when we both decided we wanted chocolate chip cookies for dessert, but didn't have any in the house. He reminded me that I used to make so many cookies and that now I don't make any, and that fact alone qualified me as a "bad wife."

Never mind that I had been at the office all day, or that we didn't actually have any chocolate on hand at the time of his request, or that he, too, could have gone out earlier to get the ingredients to make them. Apparently, I have been slacking. Right.

Despite that lovely comment, I braved the elements and trudged to the store (ignore the fact that we actually have two grocery stores within a two minute walk from our apartment...I'm going for drama here), and came back ready to bake.

I've linked to this recipe before, but below is the version I made last night; there's a bit less flour, so they're slightly less chewy and definitely more buttery. I think the best thing about these is the salt. Using flaky sea salt is the key to making these cookies so delicious. And if you sneak a spoon-full of batter to taste before baking, I won't tell...oh, and I did redeem my bad wifely qualities with these. Especially because I have extra dough in the freezer. 




Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies, via David Lebovitz. 
-------------------------
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces. 
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 C. flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300. Adjust the oven rack to the top third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Beat the sugars and eggs together until smooth, about 2 minutes in a stand mixer. Add in egg, vanilla, and baking soda. 

Stir together the flour and salt, then add them to the batter. Add chocolate chips and mix until incorporated. 

Scoop the dough into 10** balls (I use a rounded tablespoon of dough for each cookie). Space them at least 2 inches apart on the baking sheet, they do spread out a bit. 

Bake for 17 minutes, until pale brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. 



**The recipe makes enough for about 20 cookies, but since there are only two of us, I'll usually just make half and freeze the rest of the dough. And when the rest of the day has looked like this, having that batch of dough ready to be sliced and baked makes the night that much cozier. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...